Social Work Disaster Assistance Fund
NASW established the Social Work Disaster Assistance Fund to provide assistance to those affected by disasters in the United States and around the world, such as September 11, devastating hurricanes, tsunamis, flooding, earthquakes, wildfires, and the Ebola Epidemic. Donations are awarded to social workers and/or social welfare organizations that can provide assistance to those who have suffered loss, and are in need of financial, or other assistance due to a disaster.
Disaster Assistance Fund History
Since it was created, the Social Work Disaster Assistance Fund has raised badly needed dollars from generous NASW Members, NASW Chapters, friends, partners, and other donors, to assist in relief efforts by social workers for the following disasters:
- Assistance for California due to the wildfires in 2018-2019.
- Assistance for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands following Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria in 2017.
- Assistance for Louisiana following flooding in 2016.
- Assistance for West Africa following the Ebola Epidemic in 2014-2016.
- Assistance for Japan following the earthquake in 2011.
- Assistance for Haiti following the earthquake in 2010.
- Assistance for Louisiana and New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
- Assistance for Indonesia following the Indian Ocean Tsunami in 2004.
- Assistance following September 11, 2001.
Disaster Assistance Funding Criteria
Donations are awarded to social workers and/or social welfare organizations that can provide assistance to those who have suffered loss and are in need of financial, or other assistance due to a disaster. To help maximize the effects of donations, preference is given to assisting social workers who, in turn, can help others. Most important, 100% of disaster assistance funds raised go directly to helping others.
Contributions to the NASW Foundation, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible as allowed by law. Donate online or print and complete the NASW Foundation donation page, and mail (address below), or fax it to NASW Foundation at 202-336-8292.